Modern Skype was optimised for Windows 8.x touch screens and with Windows 10 and its Continuum feature Skype will merge both products into Skype for Windows Desktop.
From 7 July 2015, you will no longer be able to sign into the Skype for modern Windows app.
If you are not sure about which version you are using follow these instructions.
- Go to skype.com > Downloads tab > Computer
- Download the latest version by clicking Get Skype for Windows desktop
- Sign into Skype
Removing the modern Skype is recommended.
- Close Skype by pressing Alt+F4 on your keyboard or by swiping from the top edge of the screen.
- In the Start screen, right click or tap and hold the Skype tile. The Options menu appears at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Uninstall from the Options menu.
- In the window that pops up, select Uninstall to confirm you want to uninstall Skype.
- The Skype tile disappears from the Start screen.
To start using Skype for Windows desktop:
- If you have not already, download Skype for Windows desktop.
- When it is installed go to the Apps view – slide up from the middle of the Start screen with your finger, or click the arrow near the lower left corner of the Start screen.
- Find the Skype for desktop app (you will have to scroll past the modern apps first).
- Right click or tap and hold the app and select Pin to Start. The app will appear at the end of your Start screen, but you can drag and drop it to wherever you like. Now when you click or tap the Skype tile to launch Skype, Windows 8 switches to the desktop. All of your contacts along with chat history for the last 30 days remains.
By Ray Shaw
Published in: http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/home-it/68405-modern-skype-to-morph-into-desktop-version