Top 5 tips for building your email database
Eager to build your email database but not sure how? Worried that your e-newsletters might contravene the Australian SPAM Act?
Here are Brisbane Hosting’s sure fire tips for growing your email audience while still staying on the right side of the law.
- Use an online tool such as MailChimp to manage your email database. This will make managing your database and distribution of e-newsletters a breeze. These tools also offer ready-built templates with the mandatory unsubscribe and sender identification functionality (two of the Australian SPAM Act criteria everyone has to follow when sending commercial messages electronically.) Yes, there is generally there is a small cost to use these services but they will save you a lot of headaches (and dollars) by streamlining your communication.
- Create a tailored e-news template for your business. Not only will your email communication look professional and on-brand, but you’ll save time and money because you don’t have to have to start from scratch every time you want to send an e-newsletter. A prime example of how to work smarter, not harder.
- Add a subscribe form to your website homepage. And while you’re at it, spend one minute updating your email signature to include a “click here to join our mailing list” call to action. The key is to make it super simple for people to join your mailing list. It’s also wise to set clear expectations as to how frequently you will be contacting them as people will be less likely to subscribe if they think you’ll just clog their inbox with irrelevant deals and offers.
- Be consistent with how often you send e-newsletters. By setting clear expectations from the outset and then delivering on this promise is one way to build trust with your audience – meaning they’ll be more likely to use your services down the track.
- And perhaps importantly, provide snappy and informative content that will engage your readers. Your email database can be an enormously valuable marketing tool, so don’t waste the opportunity to speak directly to your customer base. It’s no secret that most people are drowning in a sea of unwanted emails, so it’s even more crucial that your communication stands out from the crowd – in other words, don’t go too heavy on the sales pitch.While you’re ultimate aim is to convert a sale or new customer, put yourself in their shoes of your customer and identify ways that you can add value and make their lives easier. By providing helpful hints or ‘how-tos’ (this could be links to your blog or videos on your website) you will be enhancing the customer’s experience and perception of your brand. This, balanced with your sales message or special deals, will in turn deliver a stronger return on investment.
Ready to ramp up your e-newsletter marketing efforts? Don’t forget to abide by the Australian SPAM Act – you can read our refresher on the rules and regulations here.
Brisbane Hosting can also help with getting your email database set up, connected to your website and also assist with the template development, copywriting and distribution of your e-newsletters should you require. Call us today.
Brisbane Hosting & Website Hosting’s products and services include Website Hosting, Domain Names, DNS Services, Website Development, Website Design, Website Revamps, Website Maintenance, Social Media Campaigns and more.